Language Requirements

International Degree Seeking Students (and summer course applicants)

All applicants are required to meet the standard English language requirements corresponding to English 6, or English course B in the Swedish upper secondary school system.

Accepted tests and minimum results required:

  • TOEFL* Paper based:
    a minimum score of 575 with at least 4,5 in “Written test (TWE)"
  • TOEFL* Internet based:
    a minimum score of 90 with at least 20 in “Written test (TWE)".
    University Admissions TOEFL code: "Sweden 3477".
  • IELTS Academic:
    An overall score of 6.5 and no section below 5.5.
  • University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations:
    Cambridge English: Advanced (Certificate in Advanced English) or
    Proficiency (Certificate of Proficiency in English)
  • Michigan English Language Assessment Battery:
    Minimum score of 90
  • Pearson PTE Academic:
    Score of 62 (writing 61)

*The test result cannot be older than two years.

English Language Test Exemptions

If you can document any of the following, you are not required to submit a formal English test.

  • Applicants with an upper secondary/high school degree where English is the only language of instruction. Evidence must be provided showing the student's upper secondary tutoring language.
    NOTE: Upper secondary English instruction in some countries qualifies as equivalent to English 6/English Course B in Sweden. See here for a list of countries and upper secondary English equivalentsexternal link, opens in new window.
  • Students with a Bachelor's degree from a university where English is the only language of instruction, in accordance with the recommendations in the edition of the International Handbook of Universities.
  • Students with 30 higher education (HE) credits from an EU/EEA country or Switzerland where the language of instruction of the course is English. The language of instruction must be clearly stated on official documents.
  • Students with 30 higher education (HE) credits from Great Britain, Ireland, Malta, USA, Australia, New Zealand, Jamaica, or English speaking parts of Canada. The language of instruction needs to be English.
  • Students with a Bachelor's degree (equivalent to a Swedish "Kandidatexamen") in engineering, computer science, computer applications, medicine, pharmacy, science or technology from India or Pakistan.
  • Turkish students who have studied a 1-year preparatory class in English at a university.

Exchange students

Generally speaking, the home university guarantees a student's fluency in English, by signing a course confirmation statement. Although language test scores are not formally required, all students are expected to meet the university's minimum English requirements and students must receive a signature from a representative of their home university guaranteeing their fluency in English.

Content updated 2018-10-24

Content updated 2018-10-24
We use cookies on By continuing to use this site you accept the use of cookies. More information