Material Testing and Characterisation, 6 credits
Materialprovning, 6 högskolepoäng
Course Syllabus for students Spring 2018
|Confirmed by:||Director of Education Feb 1, 2017
|Valid From:||Autumn 2018
|Reg number:||JTH 2017/00655-313
|Education Cycle:||Second-cycle level
|Disciplinary domain:||Technology (95%) and social sciences (5%)
|Main field of study:||Product Development
Intended Learning Outcomes (ILO)
On completion of the course, the student should
Knowledge and understanding
- have knowledge about appropriate measurement techniques and equipment to determine material properties and microstructure
- have knowledge about material testing standards
- show knowledge about the relationship between structure and material properties
- have knowledge about material properties and material behaviours
- have knowledge about material standards
Skills and abilities
- show ability to evaluate measurements
- show ability in using equipment for material testing and microscopy
Judgement and approach
- show sound judgement regarding validity of measurements and calculated predictions
The course covers different material properties and material behavior. The link between structure and material properties is studied. Equipment for typical material testing techniques are studied and used in practice. The measurements are analyzed and presented.
The course contains the following topics:
- Testing methodology, material testing standards and material standards
- Mechanical tests of static and dynamic properties
- Analytical methods for thermo-physical properties
- Determination of chemical composition and thermodynamic calculations of microstructure
- Metallographic sample preparation, microscopy and image analysis
- Different techniques for nondestructive testing
- Theory behind the relationship between structure and material properties.
Type of instruction
Lectures, seminars, project work, laboratory and exercises.
The teaching is conducted in English.
The applicant must hold the minimum of a bachelor's degree (ie. the equivalent of 180 ECTS credits at an accredited university) with at least 90 credits in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent. Proof of English proficiency is required (or the equivalent).
Examination and grades
The course is graded 5,4,3 or Fail .
Registration of examination:
|Name of the Test||Value||Grading
|Laboratory work and Assignemnts||3 credits||U/G
Determines the final grade of the course, which is issued only when all course units have been passed.
The literature list for the course will be provided one month before the course starts.
Handouts and ASM Handbook online.